Are you looking for the best HPS grow lights for your indoor plants? When you want a little extra support for your plants, you should invest in some good quality grow lights. We have carefully compiled some of the best HPS grow lights so that your plants are healthy and happy.
HPS or High Pressure Sodium grow lights are very popular among gardeners who have indoor plants. In the absence of sunlight, HPS grow lights produce a red spectrum light when can help your plants in the flowering stage.
What kind of HPS grow light you need? It depends on the type of plant and the size of your garden. In this article, you will find reviews of some of the best 1000w, 600w, and 400w HPS grow lights available in the market so that you can choose one that
10 Best HPS Grow Lights
1. MIXJOY 1000W Double Ended HPS Grow Light
- Reflective hood with 95% reflectivity
- High frequency digital dimmable ballast
- Adjustable 600/750/1000/1150W output
- Comes with sturdy hanging attachments
- Ballast designed specially for double ended grow lights
- 3 years of warranty
The first model in our best HPS grow lights list is this one from Mixjoy. It comes with an efficient, high frequency dimmable ballast.
We want to mention that this is a double-ended model, so the reflectivity rating is very high. The colour rendering is also excellent.
The 1000w HPS grow bulb gives a high PAR and output rating compared to ordinary HPS bulbs in the market. It also includes a hanging attachment.
- Double ended light system
- High reflectivity aluminum hood
- Optimized orange and red spectrum
- Efficient and dimmable digital ballast
Covers a small area compared to other brands
2. iPower 1000W HPS Grow Light Kits
- 24000 hours lifespan
- Upto 4 x 4 feet coverage
- Variable dimmable options
- Dimmable digital electronic ballast
- 6-inch Air Cooled Hood Reflector
- Optimized spectrum with high PAR value
- High reflectivity of upto 95% light
iPower is a reliable brand and makes one of the best and premium quaity 1000w HPS grow lights. The most outstanding feature of this model is the 1000w digital dimmable ballast. This gives a very stable power output, as a result there is no flickering.
We find it really thoughtful the set includes a pair of anti-UV grow room glasses in the set. It means that the company really cares about its customers’ well being.
The wing reflector is pretty sturdy too; it’s made of 95% German aluminum to maximize how much light it reflects. One small problem with this model is that it overheats if you use it without ventilation. If you want light which with less heats, you can go for led grow light, they produce very little heat.
- Easy installation
- Stable power output
- Durable and strong cords
- Flicker-free and continuous light
- High PAR and optimized spectrum
- Does not included any timer
- Generates too much heat if used in a closed space
3. VIVOSUN 1000 Watt HPS MH Grow Light
- Highly reflective wing reflector
- Comes with mechanical timer
- Contains hanging accessories
- Light weight and easy installation
- Includes both HPS and MH bulb with high PAR value
- Ballast runs on 120-240V, comes with power cord of 8ft 120V
- 3 years warranty
VIVOSUN is one of the leading HPS grow light brands in the market and is known for its wide product range.
This is a complete package; it comes with a wing reflector, a digital ballast, an HPS MH bulb, digital timer and a pair of rope hangers. It can be easily installed on top of your hydroponic unit, such as an aquarium, hydroponic grow tent, grow room.
The wing reflector is made of 90% high reflectivity aluminium, so there are no hot-spots. As the ballast is dimmable, you can adjust the brightness level as needed.
- Includes rope hangers
- Light spectrum is optimized
- Both HPS and MH bulb included
- Comes with 24-hour mechanical timer
The ballast makes a little noise
4. TopoGrow 1000W Double Ended HPS Grow
- Over 95% reflectivity
- Double ended 1000w HPS bulb
- Contains DE enclosed reflector
- Dimmable ballast runs on 120V and 240V
- Varying power input of 600W/750W/1000W
- Heat management mechanism
TopoGrow outdid itself with this model because of its unique double-ended design. Because of this, it delivers much higher PAR value in a uniform manner. This makes it another the best 1000w HPS grow light.
The 1000w, 2000K HPS bulb is double ended, providing 35% more energy than standard HPS lamps. However, this set does not include an MH bulb which many customers also like.
The ballast runs on both 120V and 240V, it is dimmable like all models discussed so far. The company claims that this model provides the most efficient light distribution in the market.
- High efficiency
- Long operating life
- Evenly distributed light
- Satisfactory cord length
- Double ended design gives high PAR
- Small Thin reflector
- Does not included any timer
- Set does not come with MH bulb
5. iPower 400W HPS Grow Lights System Kits
- 400w HPS and MH bulb
- up to 4’x4′ light coverage
- Optimized spectrum and high PAR value
- Dimmable light options: 50%, 75%, 100%
- 400W Digital Dimmable Electronic Ballast
If you like the idea of the 1000w model from this brand but want something smaller, this is the perfect product for you. This iPower model is one of the best 400w HPS grow light thanks to its efficient design.
For a fantastic price, you get both a 400w HPS grow bulb and an MH bulb as well. The 19-inch wing reflector provides decent light coverage.
Another very handy feature is this model is that it comes with a 24 hour mechanical timer with 15 minute increments. The power output is very stable and provides flicker free light. The only problem is the extra heat. If you don’t have proper ventilation, it may burn you plants. If you don’t want any risk, Fluorescent grow light will be better for you.
- 24 hours settings
- High efficiency dimmable ballast
- Built-in 10-ft heavy duty lamp cord
- The wires are not exposed, so there is low risk of electric shock
- Includes both HPS and MH bulb, can be customized as required
There is a risk of overheating if used in closed spaces
6. VIVOSUN 600 Watt HPS Grow Light
- 600w HPS MH bulb
- Wing Reflector Kit
- 24-Hour Mechanical Timer
- High Stability & Compatibility
- Optimum full spectrum of light
- UL Listed 600W Dimmable Ballst
This Vivosun Hydroponic model has a wonderful wing reflector that promises no hot-spot and up to 90% reflectivity. We believe this one of the best 600w HPS grow light out there.
Like the Vivosun models of higher power, this includes both HPS and MH grow light bulbs. As a result, they ensure high PAR value, optimized spectrum and superior quality light for plant growth.
A timer is a very handy accessory to be included with an HPS grow light, and this model includes it. Timer mode can also be turned off if you want.
- Dimmable ballast is UL listed
- Very efficient wing reflector with 90% reflectivity
- Includes both 600w HPS and MH bulb
- Comes with 24 hour mechanical timer
The lamp shade is ultra thin
7. HONGVILLE 400 Watt HPS Grow Light System Kits
- Included 24 hour timer
- Optimized spectrum and high PAR
- Air Cooled Reflector Hood Set
- 400W Digital Dimmable Electronic Ballast
- Adjustable lighting at 100%, 75% and 50%
This Hongvillemodel is great for medium sized cultivated areas. We particularly love its 6-inch air cooled reflector that is unique to the model. It maximizes how much light the plants get, which makes it on our list of best 400 watt HPS bulbs.
The model is perfect for you if you only want the HPS bulb as there is no Metal Halide (MH) bulb included in the set. If you really want an MH bulb, you have to purchase separately. The digital ballast is fairly standard and efficient; you can dim it to 100%, 75% and 50%.
- Dimmable power levels
- 2000k colour temperature
- Compatible with both HPS and MH bulb
- 6 inch air cooled reflector prevents overheating
The lamp shade is ultra thin
8. Apollo 600 Watt HPS Grow Light Bulb
- 110V power voltage
- 87000 lumen output
- E39 base 600w HPS Bulb
- Upto 24,000 hours bulb life
- 2000k bulb with red-orange spectrum light
- Super lightweight and easy to install
Unlike the previous items we have reviewed, this one is a bulb-only product. The Apollo Horticulture 600w HPS grow light bulb can be attached to any horticulture set to set up in your own garden.
The bulb is compatible with both electronic and magnetic ballasts. The speciality of this bulb is that it stimulates plants in the flowering stage as well as fruiting stage.
The red-orange spectrum light is very efficient and suitable for many types of plants. This is among the best 600w HPS grow lights if you are looking for something within a budget price.
- Affordable price
- Ideal for hydroponic cultivation
- 2000k Red-orange spectrum light
- E39 base bulb works with magnetic and electric ballasts
Startup time can be a bit slow
9. Best 600 Watt HPS Bulb From ipower
- 85000 lumen output
- High PAR and enhanced spectrum
- 2100k bulb with red-orange spectrum light
- Extended lifetime of over 32,000 hours
- Compatible with electronic and magnetic ballast
If ou are looking for the best 600 watt hps bulb, here also come ipower manufacturer. Another lamp-only model makes it into this list because we know you need to customize your setup. This iPower 600 watt hps bulb is a bit on the higher price range, but we think it can satisfy your needs very well.
The company claims that it consumes less energy while giving more output. After testing it, we can confirm that it provides the best lumen per watt ratio for the price.
The light stimulates fruit production and flower growth. It is easily among the best 600 watt hps bulb at a great price.
- Upto 85000 lumen output
- 2100k Red-orange spectrum light
- Provides high PAR Value
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Perfect for hydroponic plant cultivation
- Allow 3-5 minutes for full bright. Please wait at least 5 min.
- No specific instructions on the type of ballast
10. Ultra Sun 400W High Pressure Sodium Bulb
- E39 mogul base bulb
- Suitable for all growth of plants
- Full spectrum of light
- Strong and robust structure
- One year warranty
Last but not the least, we have one of the best 400 watt HPS light for you. This is an excellent lamp for the whole plant growth stage.
It comes with a 2000 degree K temperature rating and best suited for flowering. It can help in the fruiting stages as well.
- Great for full term plant growth
- 2000 degree Kelvin temperature rating
- Robust construction
- Economical and cheap
Does not come with information on power rating
Whether you are new to indoor gardening or are already an expert, it is important to start with the correct equipment. For your convenience, we have talked about the best HPS grow lights for all your needs. These can be a great starting point for your gardening endeavours.
We recommend you to get a full setup of 1000w HPS grow light if you are an expert. For beginners and small garden owners, it’s best to start with a 400w HPS grow light and then upgrade your equipment.